Friday, August 7, 2009

Skip to My Lou

It's hard to say what draws you outside at certain times of day. Often, during the hot, humid days of a Florida summer, I observe the flora and fauna through a window, sacrificing up-close views for the comfort of AC. But other times, I feel the need to find some shoes and slip outside into the heat, looking for creatures I couldn't possibly see from the great indoors.

When I stepped outside this afternoon, I immediately began to sweat. But I was quickly rewarded for my discomfort when I spotted this long-tailed skipper visiting my butterfly garden. I do love the thrill of catching a butterfly for the first time on camera.

It seems to be skipper season. Fiery skippers have been visiting frequently, and I'm sure there are others I've been missing. After all, there are dozens of types of skippers in Florida, many of them very diminutive. The long-tailed skipper is about 2 inches long, though, so it's much easier to spot.

Here are a few more pictures of this wonderful little butterfly. To see all the pictures from today's shoot, visit my Flickr Butterfly Gallery.

TIP: If you love Florida butterflies, you have to check out the MOSI Butterfly Garden curator's blog, Tales from the Butterfly Garden: Lepcurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment