Thursday, May 13, 2010

At Last

My Florida Backyard is pleased to announce the arrival of its first sulphur caterpillar! After many months of trying to lure these little lovelies to the yard, we've finally succeeded:


I found this small Cloudless Sulphur caterpillar on the Winter Cassia (Cassia bicapsularis). This and Candlestick Cassia (Cassia alata) are the current sulphur hostplants in My Florida Backyard. We are also starting some Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata) and Sicklepod Cassia (Cassia obtusifolia) from seed to provide even more enticements for sulphurs.


For more on cassia plants to attract sulphurs to your own backyard, see this great post at Tales From the Butterfly Garden: The Cassia Family @ MOSI. Happy Caterpillar Season!

1 comment:

  1. Hurray! I've still yet to see them return to my garden. My popcorn sennia is large and fluffy...just waiting to be devoured. Enjoy your soon to be butterflies.

    ReplyDelete