Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cold Weather Blues

Was I complaining about the cold last week? Because I take it back, really. Apparently, the weather gods heard me and have decided to punish me with an endless forecast of chilly days and cold cold nights.
Our temperatures are running 15 - 20 degrees below normal. Every day. I mean, that night where it's only going to drop to 46 is looking like a heat wave. Quite frankly, I don't have enough warm clothes to make it through this week. We're used to a chilly day or two in January, but not day after endless day of them. Sheesh.

Luckily, My Florida Backyard is more or less equipped to handle chilly weather, even weather like this. Because so many of our plants are native, they can withstand colder temperatures - even a hard freeze or two. We've covered just a few plants that are new this year and are still becoming established, like the Christmas Cassia and Candlestick Cassia. Everything else can pretty much fend for itself.

So, we're better off than the strawberry farmers, and we don't live in an area where wildfires could threaten us (this is great wildfire weather). We have a roof over our head and our heat works - which is more than some can say. So for the next week, I guess we'll just huddle for warmth and be thankful we don't live in Barrow, Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment