Monday, June 15, 2009

What's Going On

It's been a hot and dry week in My Florida Backyard, with nothing really unusual going on. A few items of note:

A local muscovy mamma has some babies. Each time I see her, she has fewer babies than she did before, but of course I can't resist catching some pics of the fluffball babies.

Although I'm trying not to get attached this time around, baby ducks are darn photogenic. If you want to see more, check out my new Duckling Gallery on Flickr.


While I was snapping these pics (and getting a fire ant bite in the process - when will I learn?), these white ibis wandered by. No one really seemed to mind.




Also, we noticed this weekend that, as we expected, the snowbush caterpillars have done their work on the snowbush in the butterfly garden. It's been basically stripped to the bone (twig?) and the remaining caterpillars are eating anything they can get their hands (legs?) on.

This non-native bush is about done for, and that's OK. I plan to replace it with a native butterfly plant - what will I choose? In the meantime, we seem to have created our own small white-tipped black moth colony as the caterpillars morph into their final state - I see literally dozens in the air each day.

And that's what's been going on in My Florida Backyard lately. We look forward to some rain returning soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment